Public advised following Carbon Monoxide Incident in Northern Ireland

Date Published : August 6th, 2015    Published By : admin

Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service is reminding the public about the importance of having both working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors fitted in their home and to test them regularly to make sure they are working. Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer and can have devastating consequences.

04.08.15 NIFRS Carbon Testers_640

Photo: (NIFRS)

The warnings come following a recent incident in which the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) responded to on Tuesday 4th August. They received a call to attend an incident following the activation of a carbon monoxide alarm at a house in the Northland Road area of Londonderry.

Two Fire Appliances from Crescent Link Fire Station and one Fire Appliance from Northland Fire Station were deployed to the scene. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus helped to ventilate the house and a man was taken to a nearby hospital by Northern Ireland Ambulance Service as a precaution.

Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service says that homeowners can help minimise the risk of carbon monoxide by making sure that appliances such as boilers, heaters, cookers and stoves are installed by a registered gas appliance engineer and that they are serviced annually. People should also ensure that they get their chimneys and flues cleaned at least once a year, which will help to minimise the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, as well as reducing the risk of a chimney fire at home.

NIFRS_Smoke detector_640

For further carbon monoxide advice, Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service would encourage members of the public to get protection advice from the Health & Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) by telephoning their Carbon Monoxide Advice Line on 0800 0320 121 or by logging onto their website www.hseni.gov.uk/watchout for information.

Share!

    ← Back to Previous Page